- diagnose and treat medical conditions related to abuse
- reassure the child that everything is ok with his/her body
- document any significant physical or forensic findings
The health care provider who examines your child will sit down with the caregiver(s) after the evaluation to explain the results and the need for any follow-up appointments. As required by New York State law, CAP staff work as members of the Multidisciplinary Team. The licensed medical provider will discuss and provide a written report with the professionals who are responsible for the investigation and prosecution of the crime of child sexual abuse. With consent from the child’s legal guardian, information may be shared with the child’s pediatrician and primary care physician. CAP advocates will provide all caregivers with the HIPAA compliant releases for the purpose of designating who information may be shared with and for how long.
Medical evaluation appointments usually last two hours. The evaluation itself if short and non-invasive. The child will be well prepared prior to entering the medical room. Children are never forced and are given as much time as necessary to fell comfortable and know what to expect.
For more information on Medical Evaluations at CAP, please call 716.338.9844.
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)